Saturday, June 25, 2016

How did the antagonist develop in Larry Peterson's YA Historical novel "The Priest and The Peaches" ?

How did the antagonist develop?

1. Who is your favorite character?
Beatrice Amon, the antagonist.

2. Why is he/she your favorite?
As the story unfolded Beatrice morphed into someone that even surprised me. Hopefully the reader will be as surprised as I was.

3. How did you come to create him/her?
Once I happened to pass by a woman as I was walking and she was dressed in a black dress that hung to mid-calf, wore thick soled, ugly black shoes and sported a wide rimmed black hat that sat on her head at an angle. She was walking like someone who was on a mission, fast and purposeful, and had a mean look on her face. Her eyes never waivered from looking straight ahead. Our encounter lasted for about two seconds but I never forgot her and the bleakness that surrounded her.

4. Where was he/she given life in the creative process?
In my quest to find a suitable antagonist I toyed with several ideas: a mean nun and/or an overbearing relative, (that almost happened with Aunt Vera) to name a few. I settled on the mean, intrusive neighbor. It just seemed to fit into where I was going.

5. What do like the most about him/her and what do you dislike the most about him/her?
What I like about Beatrice is who she really is and why. What I do not like is how she masked herself by shrouding herself in meanness to escape her reality.

Larry's novel is a Kindle Unlimited title and is available in ebook and paperback: https://www.amazon.com/Priest-Peaches-Larry-Peterson-ebook/dp/B01FKC7X2K/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1466874876&sr=8-1

No comments:

Post a Comment