Friday, October 2, 2015

FIVE Questions with Diane Huff Pitts!!!!!

Pets
"Dogs are for outside, not inside,” I heard my parents say as well as my husband. Outside, until a certain Schnoodle (Schnauzer/Poodle mix) wandered blissfully into our lives. The dog is now inside. And queen of the house.

And then there were two dogs.

i thought Dixie the Schnoodle was lonesome. (Maybe I should have asked her.) My remedy to her imagined woes was a Yorkiepoo whose antics resemble a kangaroo.

Dixie and Mia don’t exactly hit it off.

Two insiders? We like it. Small, don’t shed, hypoallergenic. And most of all they love us just as we are. it’s can’t get much better than that.


Musical tastes

I enjoy Rascal Flatts, Barbra Streisand, Il Divo, Eagles, Thomas Bergersen (orchestral), John Denver, Bach, the Gettys, Frank Sinatra.

The choice depends on the mood or task.

Nostalgic? Big band or Frank Sinatra if I’m with my 90- year- old mother.
Eagles or John Denver if I’m daydreaming back to the 70s.

Need writing music? Thomas Bergersen, hands down. Talented with a capital T (for Thomas, of course).

Top Five Books(or essays, poetry):

Is there a harder topic? For a writer, probably not.

My answers might surprise you.

When I was in grade school. In the summer time, “The Little Maid”series entertained me. I loaded up every week when my mom took me to the downtown library. The turning carousel squeaked as I picked four or five for my take home stack. What little girl would appear to help George Washington or Robert E Lee? Those books fueled an early love of history.

Again in grade school, I fell in love with the “Golden Book Encyclopedia.” The pictures, the topics pulled me like a magnet, driving me to learn about anything and everything from space to presidents.

In high school the writings of Bertrand Russell made me weep. I couldn’t understands how anyone could be an atheist. The stark contrast was his mother-in-law Hannah Whitehall Smith, the Quaker. The Christians’ Secret of a Happy Life.
I’ll let you figure out who influenced who.

The poetry of Emily Dickinson and Edna St. Vincent Millay.

Epic: Gone with the Wind.

Current writers: Anything by Ann Tatlock or Liz Curtis Higgs. Why? Because Ann Tatlock is a thematic writer who injects plot twists and plumbs the depths of character development. Higgs? She makes me bleed Scotland.


Worst Part-Time Summer Job

When I was 14 I worked as a teacher aide for a reading program. The children were out of control, and I was a shy teen. My stomach ached and rebelled every morning. I watched the clock every day for six weeks until my sentence was over. Worst ever!


Favorite Season

I will always love fall because it calls to me.
Of putting aside the old.
Taking time to reflect.
Believing the spring will come.
And feeling the breathe of refreshing breeze after humid, scorching Southern summer.


Stop by by Diane's Website:http://dianehuffpitts.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment