Thursday, May 28, 2015

Teens critique Marcia Lee Laycock's "The Ambassadors" Series!


I've been in classrooms many times, asked to talk with students of various ages about being a writer. But this was a bit different. This time the students had been assigned to read and then write about my novel. I was nervous as I entered and stood before a bunch of staring eyes but then I started talking about the book, when and why I wrote it and what God had done in my life. The eyes softened and heads sometimes nodded. There was even a smile or two now and then. In the end a group gathered around me to chat some more.

It seemed they like the book. Here are a few of their comments from teens at CACHS:

"The Ambassadors had many positive elements. I valued the scripture that was included in this book. It was an excellent reminder of God’s presence in our lives. It is easy to overlook that God is always working behind the scenes on our behalf and this book displayed His work in a tangible way. I loved some of the little surprises in the plot. I think this book is an excellent read for Christian adolescents."

"As a devoted and voracious fantasy reader, I enjoyed this book. Marcia Lee Laycock is a very good writer and utilises excellent imagery – for example, early in the story she aptly paints an immense mountain scene that drew me in and took me there – to a place of awe and chilly thin air. I would recommend this book to young Christian readers because it provided an easily understandable explanation and demonstration of salvation and child-like faith."

"The Ambassadors is a decent book with twists and turns in the plot which all good books should have. The character development is really good. I lived how Eghan thinks within himself, often debating whether he things the faith of his friends is worth the risk. I was kept interested as the story constantly shifted from each character. The ending was fascinating as the characters’ lives all became intertwined with each other bringing the plot to an intense climax. The plot is captivating as it intensifies slowly throughout the whole book and peaks a the right time."


"Marcia Lee Laycock’s novel, The Ambassadors displayed many good uses of imagery. In the mountains, she describes the valley beneath the late summer sun and all of the flowers blooming with bright colours. In her way of writing the scenery is described so vividly that I could picture in my mind."

"Laycock used very good imagery and comparisons in her novel. For example, in the beginning of the novel she writes: “Consciousness seeped into Eghan like the mists that slipped seductively down from the mountains – slowly – so slowly his mind fought to clear the haze away.” This is a good book that I would recommend to a young Christian audience."


Drop by Marcia Lee Laycock's Amazon Author Page: http://www.amazon.com/Marcia-Lee-Laycock/e/B007ATSV1E/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_4?qid=1432823925&sr=8-4




No comments:

Post a Comment