Thursday, February 19, 2015

Coming Soon: Patti J. Smith-"Drama,Decisions,and Departures"! Read the first two chapters NOW!

What's next for characters of "The San Francisco Wedding Planner" series?

Patti J. Smith is the author of the next story set to release 2/26:"Drama,Decisions,and Departures".

Below is the first two chapters for you to sample.

Feel free to leave a comment or message us by using the "Contact Form" on the left sidebar!

Chapter 1
Heather’s stress built with every passing minute. The clients were anxious, and Indigo still had not arrived. This is not good for business. The Legolas ringtone blared again. “Indigo, we’ve been waiting for forty-five minutes. Are you on your way?”
“Sorry, Heather. I lost track of time. I’m ten minutes out.”
“Okay, I’ll make up some excuse. Just hurry.”
After the shoot, Indigo invited the clients to another location to take extra photos later on in the week, at no charge, to make up for his tardiness. As they drove away, he turned to Heather. “That’s going to cost me, but it’s the least I can do. Now what can I do to make it up to you?”
“You did enough Indigo. In fact, that was more than generous. Are you okay?”
He took a deep breath and exhaled. “Danielle set up a meeting with me and my dad this morning, and he didn’t show. Guess that says it all.”
Heather slapped her head. “I got so wrapped up in the shoot I forgot to tell you. Danielle called earlier. Your dad’s wife had a stroke. She’s at San Francisco General. That’s why he didn’t show, Indigo. Why don’t you call Danielle? She and your dad could probably use some support.”
He headed towards his car. “Okay, I’ll call her on my way back to the office.”
Heather looked at her watch and realized the lunch date with Jonathan was in five minutes. She grabbed her cell phone and sent a text to tell him she was running late but would be there.
###
Gloria paced nervously back and forth in her living room, holding her phone. I’ve got to do something. Heather is making a terrible mistake. She punched in a number and waited. Pick up, Skye. Please pick up.
A bubbly voice came through the receiver. “Hi, Gloria. How are you feeling?”
Gloria blurted, “Oh, Skye, it’s a mess. Heather thinks you and Bryan are having a fling, and she’s having lunch with Jonathan this afternoon. Bryan was going to propose.”
After a minute or two of silence, Skye burst out laughing. “Gloria, I know all about the proposal, and I was hugging Bryan after he told me. Your daughter just happens to have a wild imagination. She even sent my husband a text about what she saw. I tried calling her, but she’s not answering. I decided to wait for her to contact me or Bryan.”
Gloria huffed. “This isn’t funny, Skye.” She confessed to overhearing Heather’s conversation with Jonathan and their plans to meet. “What are we going to do? She needs to know how Bryan feels. She might go back to Jonathan, and I know he’s not the one for her.”
Skye stifled the chuckles. “Gloria, calm down. We need to stay out of it and let it play out. You know as well as I do, it takes a little time for her to mull things over. She’ll get in touch with Bryan or me when the time is right. Just give her a chance. I’m sorry, Gloria. Gotta run. A customer just came in.”
Before Gloria could reply, the phone went dead. She paced some more, and then looked up. God, please forgive me for what I’m about to do.

Chapter 2

Heather pulled into an underground parking lot near the Zuni Café. She turned off the engine and pulled down the visor mirror for a last-minute appearance check. It’s just lunch, not a date.
As she opened the door to the café, she glanced towards the long, copper-topped bar. Her heart fluttered. There he was, chatting with the bartender.
The minute their eyes met, he stood up and walked towards her with open arms. She fell into his embrace, and he whispered in her ear, “You’re as beautiful as ever.”
She pulled back, trying not to blush. “It’s good to see you too, Jonathan.”
They sat at a window table overlooking Market Street. A waiter delivered two glasses of La Crema Chardonnay. “I took the liberty of ordering. I hope you don’t mind. I remember how much you loved wine.” He raised his glass. “To us?”
Heather smiled and did her best to suppress old feelings that were beginning to surface. She touched her glass to his and casually asked, “Are you still at Northwest?”
He leaned back. “I turned in my resignation. That’s why I’m here. I was offered the Chief of OB/GYN at San Francisco General. I’m meeting with the board of directors to discuss changes they want implemented once I start. Plus, I need to find a place to live.”
Heather’s face paled. He and Bryan at the same hospital?
“Heather, are you okay?”
She took a healthy-sized gulp of wine. “I’m fine, Jonathan. It just took me by surprise. San Francisco General is one of the best.” Her cell phone vibrated in her pants pocket. She pulled it out, gave him an apologetic smile, and said, “Hi, Mom. I’ll call you right back.” She stood up. “Excuse me for a minute?” She walked out to the waiting area listening to the phone dial her mom’s number. “Hi, Mom, I’m at lunch right now. Is there something you need?”
“I’m sorry honey, but I used the step stool to reach the salad bowl from the top shelf and took a little spill. I might have twisted something.”
“Mom, did you call 9-1-1?”
“No, Heather, I just need you to come help. I’m still sitting on the kitchen floor and can’t get up.”
Heather sighed. “Okay, Mom. I’m on my way. Just stay calm. I’ll bring Jonathan with me. He can check you out.”
“No, don’t do that. I’m in my pajamas. I just need help to the couch and an ice pack. If I wanted a stranger in my house with me looking like this, I would have called the neighbors.”
“Alright, if that’s what you want. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”
She walked back to the table and shook her head. “I’m so sorry, Jonathan. My mom took a little fall, and I need to help her. Can we possibly reschedule?”
He jumped up. “Do you want me to come with you?”
“Thanks. I already asked if she wanted you to check her out, but she thinks it’s just a sprain.” She chuckled. “And she never wants anyone to see her unless she’s all decked out. You remember her style, don’t you?”
Jonathan nodded. “Who could forget?” He kissed her on the cheek. “I’ll call you later.”
###
Gloria’s heart lurched with pangs of guilt. She’ll never forgive me for this, but someone has to do something. After she changed back into her pajamas, she set the accident scene in the kitchen and waited to hear Heather’s car before she positioned herself on the floor.


No comments:

Post a Comment