Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Quiet Times With God Throughout The Day by Patti J. Smith


This past Friday I threw my back out pulling down decorations from the top shelves in the garage. It was one of those "I am woman" moments. I didn't ask for help from my much taller husband, father or uncle and because of my fear of heights, I wouldn't use a ladder. I just kept poking the boxes with a cane over and over again until I got the items close enough to the edge to tip over into my arms. I started to decorate the tree and house with my family but instead of being joyful, I was miserable. I finally had to give in, take pain medication and confine myself to the recliner with a heating pad for the weekend missing out on the festivities.

This type of situation also happens on our faith journey when we convince ourselves we're in control and don't need God's help. That's when the chaos begins and we become anxious, angry and despondent. It takes awhile to realize the reason for our agony which results in us losing precious days of peace and serenity.

I'm trying to be more diligent in setting aside quiet times with God throughout the day and turning my life over to Him. I'll also ask for help at the end of the Christmas season putting those boxes back on the shelves in the garage.


Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. (Philippians 4:6-7)


Patti J. Smith was born in Wimpole Park, England. She lived in England and Morocco as well as several state-side Air Force Bases and considers her father's last assignment, Moses Lake, Washington, her hometown. She audited for the Dept. of Labor and Veteran's Administration Offices of Inspector General, served in the U.S. Army Reserve (Transit Control Unit and Criminal Investigation Division) and recently retired as a background investigator.

Patti lives in Vista, CA with her husband and has three granddaughters. She serves as a Regional Coordinator for the Silent No More Awareness Campaign, Co-leads Rachel's Hope After-Abortion Healing Retreats and sings in her parish choir.

Her writing includes devotionals, light romance and suspense, and her strong faith is reflected in each genre.

She is a prolific blogger and reader, and proudly admits to being a diehard Seattle Seahawks fan and Fantasy Football fanatic. Her travel adventures include Spain, Mexico, Canada, Australia, Fiji, South Korea and almost all states - including Hawaii and Alaska.

Follow her blog: http://www.gridirongrannyfootballfanatic.blogspot.com/
Goodreads: www.goodreads.com/author/show/7306825.Patti_J_Smith
Twitter: https://twitter.com/gridirongranny5
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/giridirongranny
Pinterest: http://wwwpinterest.com/gridirongranny

No comments:

Post a Comment