Friday, October 2, 2015

Check out this YOU TUBE Video of Patti J. Smith's Parrot "DERBY" IN A CHATTY MOOD



My husband and I welcomed our Lilac Crown Amazon Parrot into the family in 2004. Derby was a mere eight years old, just a baby in parrot years.
We were not shopping around for a parrot, having two dogs and a cockatiel … a large enough menagerie for one household, but we got an offer we couldn’t refuse. Our parents had a friend who sold parrots, and they found out about a parrot that was living in an abusive home. Somehow they rescued our Derby and wanted to find him a loving family. Of course, my parents recommended Michael and me. They not only gave him to us, but they also provided the cage! What a blessing.
When we picked him up, he was a little skittish and had a scar on his head from being thrown against a wall. It broke my heart to think someone could be that cruel to a defenseless creature. Thankfully, it didn’t take much time before he was crawling all over me (and doing his duty down my shirt). He now chats up a storm (as you can hear in the video) and loves to “moonwalk” on the carpet. He mimicks the phone and we’ve actually answered and does a creaky door and microwave beeps as well. What surprised me the most was he turned out to be a bigger begger than our two dogs. Whenever we eat something, he screeches until we share. His favorite foods are chicken (his relatives??), pork chops, and popcorn, but he’ll try anything….
Hope you enjoy his little show!

No comments:

Post a Comment