Friday, November 6, 2015

Nothing New Under the Sun - Peggy Blann Phifer

Solomon wrote: “That which has been is what will be, that which is done is what will be done, and there is nothing new under the sun.” Ecclesiastes 1:9 [NKJV]

By its very nature, writing is a solitary occupation. We spend hours upon hours trying to come up with something new, something to challenge Solomon’s observation.

Yet, he’s right. As writers we depend on our creative imaginations to take something old and make it new. And that’s the fun–and frustrating–part of being an author.

So, how do we do that? A few notable examples: Liz Curtis Higgs wrote a series of books retelling the story of Isaac and Rebecca; Jacob and Esau, and Leah and Rachel. She set the stories in Scotland’s Lowlands in the late Eighteenth Century and into the Nineteenth. Different character names, of course, and I loved them! If you’re curious, the titles are: Thorn in my Heart, Fair is the Rose, and Whence Came a Prince.

Remember the account in Genesis 34 where Jacob’s daughter, Dinah, (from Leah) was violated in Shechem? Well, Liz wrote a book about that, with a twist. The Bible says nothing about Dinah, and she’s only mentioned in this one chapter. However, Liz makes Dinah unable to speak. I’ll not spoil the rest for you. That title is Grace in Thine Eyes. Excellently written.
Another excellent retelling is from Francine Rivers: Redeeming Love, which presents the story of Hosea and Gomer in a more modern setting. This one I could not put down. I believe it’s a book everyone should read.
Can you think of any others you’ve read–not necessarily Biblical stories–that fall into this type of taking the old and making it new? I’d love to learn about them.

A little something about me

I came to writing late in life. Oh, I dabbled with it through the years, even took the Institute of Children’s Literature course. But I quickly found out that writing for children was not my cup of tea. Though I finished the course, I searched for that special something that would spark my creativity.

It wasn’t until I reached the half-century mark that I discovered my niche, so to speak. Yet it took twenty-three years to see my first book published…Indie published, that is, through CreateSpace and Kindle KDP.
Since then I’ve had numerous short stories released in anthologies, penned a Christmas novella, and am currently under contract to write a series of short stories of my own.

But it hasn’t been an easy road. A series of optic TIA’s have left me with several permanently opaque spots in both eyes through with I cannot see. That resulted in losing my driver’s license two years ago. I can no longer read print books, so I rely on my Kindle and Kindle apps to feed my voracious reading appetite. Thank goodness for computers which allow me to enlarge the font in my documents to enable easy writing!

Drop by Peg's Amazon Author Page to see all of her wonderful titles and much more! http://www.amazon.com/Peggy-Blann-Phifer/e/B006UU9RQ2/ref=sr_tc_2_0?qid=1446844512&sr=1-2-ent

1 comment:

  1. A fun bunch of stories for the Christmas holidays!

    ReplyDelete