Thursday, October 29, 2015

How many sunrises do I really need to see in my life? - Linda Massucci

A few times a year I do something that not many people know about. I wake up before the sunrise, make a cup of coffee to go, place my camera equipment & a blanket in a backpack, and drive away in my car.

My destination is decided that morning when the alarm clock sounds at five o’clock. I live in Connecticut, so within an hour I can either see the sunrise at the ocean, or in the hills overlooking a dairy farm. Once I reach my destination, I set my tri-pod, roll out my blanket, and wait for the sunrise as I enjoy my coffee.

Recently, I took a friend with me on a sunrise journey in the hills of Litchfield, Connecticut. While driving to our destination, there were a few grumbles of how dark and cold it was at five o’clock in the morning. Other questions included, Why do you wake up this early on a Saturday? How many sunrises do you really need to see in your life? What are you going to do with all these photos?

We finally arrived on a quiet, country road off of Route 7. The fall foliage was beautiful- almost at its peak, and there was a thin layer of frost on the ground. The morning mist gave an eerily feeling across a pond, but the horses in the distance didn’t seem scared. A farmer driving his tractor towards a silo gave a wave, as we sat with our coffee and waited for the sun to make its arrival.

Although I enjoy morning sunrises by myself, I always smirk when I am with a friend and the sun begins to rise. Every time, the experience is the same- talking stops, breathing slows to a steady pace, and their eyes never leave the sky. On the way home, I am never asked why I get up so early on my day off from work to watch the sunrise, or what I will do with the photos.
Our soul needs to hear peace and our body needs to feel nature; interesting how both these needs are only found from God’s creation. How many sunrises do I really need to see in my life? As many as God will let me.

Linda Massucci writes family sagas with a constant theme of the importance of family, faith and values. She also dabbles in short stories, educational literature, travel journalism and photography. Linda is presently working on the sequel to her 2015 novel, ‘Legacy of Grandpa’s Grapevine’. The sequel will be called ‘Mama’s Bookends’ and continues the story of Elizabeth Manciano, a young lady who realizes that family & faith are the most important things in life from her wise & charismatic Grandpa Frank.

Linda Massucci writes a monthly blog about her dog, Maggie- the smartest dog in the world. She also blogs about her travels across America and the importance of family. You can follow her on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest. Please visit her website at www.lindamassucci.wordpress.com to find her social media links or purchase her writings.


2 comments:

  1. Love this - this is me with sunsets! Ocean views. And my favorite tree in every season. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing Sue :-) I like sunsets too! Especially by the ocean.

      Delete